Lighting

 LIGHTING

E:\My docs\My Pictures\Film Stills\Annex%20-%20Dietrich,%20Marlene%20(Shanghai%20Express)_03.jpg

→ Under lighting

 There's more focus on white and softer, warm colours with high key lighting. Low key lighting is all about darkness: shadows, low tones, and the colour black. The contrast between black and any lighter colours is quite stark, creating a more dramatic image than anything you'd take with high key lighting.

 This use of lighting creates an image of mystery and helps us to only focus on the protagonist

E:\My docs\My Pictures\Film Stills\macbeth_rgb.jpg

→ High-key lighting and  back lighting 

The use of back lighting allows shadows to fall on the protagonists face creating a sort of dark and sinister tone to the image.

E:\My docs\My Pictures\Film Stills\Sin_City_005.jpg_cmyk.jpg

→ Top lighting 

→ helps to increase drama or create mood. Particularly, if used properly, the top lighting will play a different role and helps the product maintain its best appearance.

E:\My docs\My Pictures\Film Stills\Psycho_1.jpg

→Key-lighting

→It is the primary light source and is most often placed in front of your subject, at an angle, and thus illuminates one section of your subject helping create a perfectly clear image for the audience to see.

E:\My docs\My Pictures\Film Stills\clockwork1.jpg

→ Back lighting

→The us of back lighting helps emphasise the shape of a model or object and allows the object/character to stand out from the background allowing the audience to fully focus on the object/person.

E:\My docs\My Pictures\Film Stills\18631_Bladerunner-4.jpg

→Filler lighting

→The us of filler lighting is to help fill in shadows and is used to illuminate the parts of the subject that the main light cannot reach helping to create a more saturated image.

 E:\My docs\My Pictures\Film Stills\chienandolou1_cmyk.jpg

→Back lighting

The us of back lighting helps emphasise the shape of a model or object and allows the object/character to stand out from the background allowing the audience to fully focus on the object/person.

E:\My docs\My Pictures\Film Stills\Joanofarc1.jpg

→Key-lighting

It is the primary light source and is most often placed in front of your subject, at an angle, and thus illuminates one section of your subject helping create a perfectly clear image for the audience to see.

E:\My docs\My Pictures\Film Stills\H_003_rgb.jpg

→Filler lighting

The us of filler lighting is to help fill in shadows and is used to illuminate the parts of the subject that the main light cannot reach helping to create a more saturated image.

E:\My docs\My Pictures\Film Stills\double.jpg

→Key-lighting 

It is the primary light source and is most often placed in front of your subject, at an angle, and thus illuminates one section of your subject helping create a perfectly clear image for the audience to see.


FILM NOIR


  • Black and white (typical of the time)
  • →Dark, low-key, chiaroscuro lighting.
  • →Harsh shadows.
  • →High-contrast mise-en-scene.
  • →Ominous cinematography influenced by German Expressionism.
  • →Voice-over narration.
  • →Allusion over depictions (sex, violence etc.)
  • →Significant and telling iconography.


THE USE OF LIGHTING IN THE HUNGER GAMES

 
How was the lighting technique suited to the genre of the film? 

Being of the science fiction genre, the low-key lighting used in The Hunger Games helped to convey the futuristic society that is Panem. Where the districts are poverty stricken and under totalitarian control, the capitol is wealthy and thriving allowing them to get away with creating 'The hunger games'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

cinematography

British film industry

film regulation and the BBC